Using Digi’s X-CTU Application Under Linux To Configure Xbee Modems


from : http://offkilterengineering.com

Digi’s X-CTU application is for configuring and testing Xbee modems. It works great but is windows only.
While rebooting into windows just to configure an xbee was a pain it worked. But this is no longer an option now that I no longer keep a windows installation on my machine. I needed a solution!

Using wine I was easily able to use X-CTU’s window installer and run the application. Only one problem… I received a nice little a program error when attempting to add my USB device as a com port.
fubr?
Turns out X-CTU is looking for a dos device. I needed to make a soft link in ~/.wine/dosdevices to my USB device using the ln bash command:
$ ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com20
com20 is what the cool kids use. 
If you want to use something else go ahead and be lame.
Now when I try to add com port “com20″ and query the modem… it works!
Great… now get back to doing stuffs.
Next
This is the current newest page
Previous
Next Post »
Thanks for your comment